Chicken Korma with Shivani's Garam Masala & Curry Masala Spice
For the chicken marinade
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons curry masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 4 white onions, peeled and cut into slices
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 teaspoons curry masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons extra unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 cup ground raw almonds soaked in water. (When you blend them please make sure the skin of almond has been removed)
- 1 cup cream 18%
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Let's make it!
Drizzle the chicken with the garam masala, curry powder, salt and pepper. Massage into the meat and cover, leaving to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the korma sauce
- Measure out the spices into a small bowl.
- In a large saucepan heat 3 tablespoons of oil or butter over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add garlic, once aroma starts coming add sliced onions and cook for a 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until it begins to darken in color.
- Add the ginger, add the spices and salt.
- Once the onions are brownish and reduced, blend it with almonds, make it a paste.
- Put the paste back to the same pot. Turn the heat down to low and simmer 30 minutes. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan; simmer for an additional 15 minutes. Add cream at the end and brown sugar.