Garlic flavoured Dal with Shivani's Curry Masala and Garam Masala Spices
Is it the flu season yet? Even if it isn't, it's always good to keep your resistance strong. This dish is made with garlic that has properties to fight a cold and the flu.
Dal is extremely light, loaded with nutrients and a healthy source of fiber. Pigeon peas are packed with protein, dietary fiber, amino acids, vitamin B6 and folate and know for its role to help reduce weight. The garlic also contains antioxidants that protect against cell damage and aging.
I created a garlic flavored Dal. If you have an instant pot it's even easier to make. This is the perfect little recipe.
-1 cup split Pigeon Peas (toor dal)
(Also known as “toor dal,” Split Pigeon Peas are one of the most popular pulses in India. These hulled, split legumes break down easily when cooked, making them an ideal thickener for curries, soups and stews.)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Shivani's Kitchen Curry Masala Spice
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups water
- Cilantro garnish
- 1/2 tsp Shivani's Kitchen Garam Masala Spice
Let's Make it:
- Rinse your lentils 2 times with cold water. Then soak for 15 mins.
- Press the sauté button in instant pot and add oil, allow it to heat up for a min.
- Add cumin seeds, let them splutter.
- Add garlic and make them brown. Add Shivani's Curry Masala Spice Blend.
- Add the soaked dal quickly without water.
- Stir it.
- Add 3 cups water, secure the lid. Close the pressure valve and cook for 7 mins at a high pressure.
- Naturally release the pressure.
- Once open add Shivani's Garam Masala Spice and garnish with cilantro.
It is a nutritious meal served with rice, or it may be just one of several dishes served as part of a more complex meal. It is one of the most common dishes found on every Indian table.
All Shivani's Kitchen Spice blends are salt-free and gluten-free! Proudly made in Nova Scotia, Canada!