Instant pot Biryani
Ingredients for marinating your chicken
- Lime Juice 1 tbsp.
- Chicken medium pieces 1000 gm
- Yogurt 2 cup
- Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Shivani's Garam masala 2 tsp or 3 tsp if you want it spicier
- Mint leaves 1 bunch cut
- Coriander leaves 1 bunch cut
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Fried onion - 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
In a bowl take chicken, ginger garlic paste, mint, curd, green chilies, coriander leaves, garam masala, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, fried onion. Keep in the refrigerator for min 2 hours, overnight is the best.
Ingredients for Biryani
- Oil 4 tbsp.
- 4 onions sliced
- green chilies- 4 numbers
- Black cumin seeds- 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Water 5 cups
- Basmati rice 3 cups (I prefer Tilda rice brand)
- Green Cardamom- 3
- Mace 1 number
- Black cardamom - 2 numbers
Crush all the whole spices together (green cardamom, black cardamom, mace)
- Soak rice in water for about 30 minutes.
- Add oil in instant pot, once warm add bay leaves, black cumin seeds, and the crushed spices. Once you start getting aroma of the spices, add onions. Sauté the onions until they turn brown. This step should take around 15-20 mins.
- Add half marinated chicken and the liquid from the marinade. Press Cancel. Mix well, deglazing the pot with a spatula to take out all the browning of the pot from sautéing the onions. This is an important step that will prevent the possible "BURN" signal during pressure cooking. Once all the browning on the pot is completely removed, stir in the remaining chicken.
- Sauté for 5 mins. Scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure there is no food sticking to the bottom.
- Drain the rice and gently pour over the chicken. Add salt from the other ingredients list. Add water and gently push all the rice under the liquids. Do not stir. Close the Instant Pot and turn pressure valve to sealing. Select Manual mode and adjust the time to 6 minutes. Follow with Quick release.
- Open the Instant Pot. If the top layer of the rice looks uncooked, simply fluff the top layer of the rice. Then mix the rice with the chicken on the bottom of the pan. Using a silicon spatula to gently mix will also prevent the rice grains from breaking.
- Garnish with the remaining fried onions, saffron mixed with milk and cilantro. Serve with Raita , hard boiled egg and lemon wedges.