Homemade Fish Sticks with Shivani's Vindaloo Masala Spice
Make these delicious fish sticks in 25 to 30 minutes using real fish fillets. I can do it faster, actually, but I’m a kitchen Ninja. Keep practicing, and you can get your kitchen ninja award also!
- 1-pound fish fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large eggs, whisked
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Shivani’s Vindaloo Masala Spice
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Cut and season the fish: To prep the fish, cut fish into strips about 3 inches long strips and 1/2-inch thick. Rub fish strips well with salt and Shivani’s Vindaloo masala.
Coat the fish:
- Place the flour, whisked eggs, and panko crumbs in three separate bowls.
- Toss fish with all-purpose flour to coat.
- Then transfer fish and coat well with eggs.
- Finally, move on to the panko breadcrumbs and really press the breadcrumbs on the fish so they have a good crust.
- Transfer the coated fingers to the baking sheet. Keep the fish strips aside while you warm up the oil.
Heat the oil:
- Over medium heat, heat enough oil in a skillet to fill the pan about 1 1/2- to 2-inches deep. We are going to shallow fry.
- Add a few breadcrumbs in the oil and if they sizzle and come to top, it means your oil is ready.
Fry the fish sticks:
- When oil is hot, add fish sticks side by side, and make sure it is not too crowded. Even if this means you need to cook in two batches.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes. After this, the fish sticks should be nicely browned on the underside and can be flipped.
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes on the second side. Then remove and let cool on a few paper towels. Cook the second batch if needed..
- Serve fish sticks while warm along with chutneys and yogurt, if using. If you make the fish sticks in advance, reheat them in a 350°F oven for a few minutes until they are warmed through.
All of our spice blends can be found at the following: locations
All Shivani's Kitchen Spice blends are salt-free and gluten-free! Made in Nova Scotia.