Chana Masala with Shivani's Garam Masala and Curry Masala Spice Blends
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil/ Butter/ Canola Oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- One can chickpeas, drained and rinsed 15 ounces
- 1 1/2 tsp Shivani's Kitchen Garam Masala Spice
- 1 ½ teaspoon Shivani's Kitchen Curry Masala Spice
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated fresh
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, or to taste (optional)
- Salt to taste
Let's make it!
- Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add ginger saute it for 1 min, and once you start getting aroma go to the next step. Make sure it is not burning.
- Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Time to add tomatoes and Shivani's Kitchen Curry Masala Spice.
- Sauté the onion tomato paste until it becomes totally mushy and starts oozing butter from sides.
- Add the chickpeas then cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- This should be moist and stew-like, but not soupy; add a little more water, if needed.
- At the end add your garam masala and lemon juice.
- Stir in the cilantro and season with salt. Serve on its own in shallow bowl or over a hot cooked grain, if desired.
Freezes well and also great for meal planning. Let it cool down to room temperature and then store in a freezer safe container or zip lock and freeze.
All of our spice blends can be found at the following: locations or order online here.
All Shivani's Kitchen Spice blends are salt-free and gluten-free! Proudly made in Nova Scotia, Canada.