Make these delicious fish sticks in 25 to 30 minutes using real fish fillets. I can do it faster, actually, but I’m a kitchen Ninja. Keep practicing, and you can get your kitchen ninja award also!
- 1-pound fish fillets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large eggs, whisked
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Shivani’s Vindaloo Masala Spice
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Cut and season the fish: To prep the fish, cut fish into strips about 3 inches long strips and 1/2-inch thick. Rub fish strips well with salt and Shivani’s Vindaloo masala.
Coat the fish:
- Place the flour, whisked eggs, and panko crumbs in three separate bowls.
- Toss fish with all-purpose flour to coat.
- Then transfer fish and coat well with eggs.
- Finally, move on to the panko breadcrumbs and really press the breadcrumbs on the fish so they have a good crust.
- Transfer the coated fingers to the baking sheet. Keep the fish strips aside while you warm up the oil.
Heat the oil:
- Over medium heat, heat enough oil in a skillet to fill the pan about 1 1/2- to 2-inches deep. We are going to shallow fry.
- Add a few breadcrumbs in the oil and if they sizzle and come to top, it means your oil is ready.
Fry the fish sticks:
- When oil is hot, add fish sticks side by side, and make sure it is not too crowded. Even if this means you need to cook in two batches.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes. After this, the fish sticks should be nicely browned on the underside and can be flipped.
- Flip and cook for another 3 minutes on the second side. Then remove and let cool on a few paper towels. Cook the second batch if needed.
Serve fish sticks while warm along with chutney and yogurt. If you make the fish sticks in advance and need to reheat them. Reheat in a 350°F oven for a few minutes until they are warmed.
All Shivani's Kitchen Spice blends are salt-free and gluten-free! Proudly made in Nova Scotia, Canada.